Saturday 21 February 2009

Keo - My Beautiful Boy

I never meant to put personal bits on this blog but I wanted to pay tribute to my beautiful boy Keo.

20 years ago my son Nick brought me home a present in the shape of a 6 week old kitten who we thought was a girl and promptly named Cleo. We soon discovered that she was in fact a 'he' so changed his name to Keo. Shortly before this I had rescued a beautiful female German Shepherd called Kirei. Kirei instantly decided to adopt Keo as her puppy and the pair were devoted to each other. Keo firmly believed he was a dog and showed the world he wasn't afraid of anything. In fact he became 'King Pin' in the neighbourhood and nobody 'messed' with him. Sadly after a couple of years Kirei got so ill we couldn't do anything for her and poor Keo grieved for his mum for a very long time. Eventually he started to enjoy life again and his favourite pastime was to sit in the middle of the 'T' junction at the back of the house and defy anyone to run him over....after all he 'ruled' the neighbourhood. He also used to go 'walkabout' and disappear for days on end (I suspect he adopted someone else on these occassions), but he always returned home. This habit stopped not so long ago when an old lady in the adjoining road died, mystery solved... He started to feel his age a little while ago and started to stay in for longer periods of time, curled up on the sofa with my son's dog Ume for most of the time. Sadly, I came home from work at the beginning of the month and he had some kind of attack, which I thought might have been a stroke. I took him to the vets only to find out he had a tumour behind his eyes, kidney failure and an infection. He was put on medication for his kidneys and infection and was slowly getting better. Then, on Thursday I came home from work to find him laying on the sofa not being able to move much and blind, I guess the tumour had 'attacked'. My lovely friend and I rushed him to the vets where I made the hard decision to let my beautiful boy go to be with his beloved mum...

He lived a long and happy life and was well loved and although I miss him terribly I know he is in a better place with his beloved mum.

Thank you all for listening.

1 comment:

Hazel (Didos) said...

Hi Christine,
I am so sorry to hear about the sad loss of Keo. It was such a hard decision for you I know as having been there a week ago but it was the right one. I'm sure he will be missed but think of him up there with his Mum being a happy painfree Kitty. He is probably showing my Tai who is the Boss. LOL

Take Care, Hazelxoxo